Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virginia Tech Massacre

As a student and a parent I have to say this was very disturbing event. Yesterday as some of you may know we had our Spring quarter party after the new student orientation. I staid late with our TESOL society president to clean up. I was in class by myself around 9:10 pm a male student approached me and asked if there is a class in session in this room. I really felt uncomfortable and stepped out of the classroom suggesting that he checks the class next door. As soon as he left I picked up my bag and went out of the King Hall building waiting for Hajime. I don't know if there are classes that start this late, but I had to be careful. I think it is the way I was brought up to be careful and not so naive. He could have been nice guy and sincere, but I felt funny and I had to be careful.

I know Virginia Tech's problem is bigger than what it looks, but we have to do something to stop kids and young adult from committing such horrible acts. Also would it hurt to teach our students how to be cautious and careful. We have to learn to take things a bit more seriously and not always think it is OK or it is a jock like one of the students at Virginia Tech thought when he was sitting in the class and heard the banging from the hallway.

However I think the bigger picture is the problem with gun control, otherwise our children are going to go school fully armed 20 years from now.

We have to stop the violence and everything that promote it.

1 comment:

Kuki said...

I agree with you. The problem starts with gun control.

THere was a mugging incident on campus last week. So I would suggest being extra careful. Where you alone in the classroom? And why, I should ask... Just protect yourself! Kuki