Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Your child's name

Now this is a hot issue that we can talk about. How do you name your child (baby) and why??? I have a friend who is about 5 months pregnant and looking for a female name for her baby. Now why people try to think of usual and unique names for their children!!! Do they just make it up like I did when I named my daughter or does it have some kind of story or tradition that goes with it!!! There are people back in my old country who name their children after the thing the see when their children are born. It is some kind of tradition when couples can't conceive or when they want a baby boy so they make a deal (I am just trying to translate) with God if you give a boy I will name him after the first thing I see when he is born. So my mom told me once that when she went to sign up with the teachers union as she became a teacher, there was a man a grown up man with name (TRASH), who had changed his name to an normal name before pursing his career as a teacher. Apparently, TRASH was named after what his father first saw upon his birth. Isn't this crazy. Now would you rather name your child with a usual or unusual name??? would you risk having your child being teased by other kids for having unusual name???

1 comment:

pikachu said...

It's an interesting topic to share your thoughts with especially that Mother's Day is coming. I think naming is very cultural, but my personal view on naming for babies is it's a gift to your babies. With that said, it means the name will be meaningful and contain some traditional value in the family.