Sunday, May 6, 2007

Work + family = Mom

Now that we are about to celebrate mother's day, I have to talk about how hard most moms work in this country. My mother, who was a teacher and have worked most of her life and raised me and took care of most of the household matters is actually angry how a developed country like US makes women work so hard. I have met so many women in my previous job who are single women. I have heard all of their stories and struggle to make a decent living while trying to maintain their families. WHY? WHY women can't have more PAID time out of work (and NOT WORRIED about losing their jobs later) to stay with their kids for a while? Do you know when I attended some birth classes at Verdugo Hills Hospitals which basically covers part of Glendale area, Montrose, La Canada, and La Crescenta that the average age of pregnant women at this hospital is 35 year old. This is almost the cut of line between having a normal pregnancy and a pregnancy with possible risks. These women end up having more tests or even more ultra sounds and stuff like that to make sure that the baby is OK. Why? Why wait so long to have a child when the couple have been together or married for many years. Why? when I asked some women (including myself) I found the answer is to hard to raise a child without a stable job, stable pay, decent home ....etc.

All this make me think how much women sacrifice to either avoid having children to be able to manage their career requirements or they settle for much less than men in terms of having their dream jobs.

So have you ever thought of your role as a woman in this society? Do you choose to be stay home mom, mom + work, or just a career.

In my opinion, women always sacrifice not matter what the choose. despite the fact that men make more money and have more political power in this world, I think women's role is much more important, because MOMS are the ones who always take upon the responsibly to care for their children and accordingly they are the ones who help shaping our society and our world.

Don't you think so!!!!

No comments: